Tuesday 10 April 2018

Objectivity and Subjectivity


Although I understand perfectly the definitions for objectivity and subjectivity, I nevertheless seem to come across difficulty when trying to understand these concepts in my writing. I find myself asking “is that objective or subjective?”.  It sometimes, is a struggle to differentiate between the two, I feel quite challenged. I’m also wondering if I can be subjective at all in my writing? I’m confused as I’m uncertain where the line is between the two. For the Critical Inquiry, the handbook states that we can share our experiences about the data collection and that is the most narrative part. Yet, this is an academic paper where as I gather from my bit of research and ethical conditions, I should be more objective. Subjectivity can bias the researcher. I try to put my emotions aside and state the facts, but I feel I lose the flow of the essay. Maybe, subjectivity is in many levels and I don’t need to lay my heart on my sleeve, so to speak.

Writing the various essays throughout the models I’ve come to realise that I write how I speak. I’ve tried to work on that aspect, saying what I need to say in fewer words. Getting to the point quicker, is an ongoing effort! I have to admit that this personality trait has been reflected in my teaching the past few years. I don’t know if I got into the habit of repeating myself to make a point, or because I wondered if my pupils had trouble understanding me (I speak Norwegian but with a distinctive British accent).

Today I’ve spent time trying to find ways to improve my academic writing (and stopping my head from spinning at a very fast rate!). Using objective and subjective language and the use of grammar is something I’ve not recognised. 

If anybody is interested here is a link I’ve found which may be of some help:


Sam

5 comments:

  1. Hi Samantha,
    Thank you for your blog and link. Very helpful as I, too, am struggling to find the balance between those 2 sections of the paper; narrative vs. objective research.
    We're nearly there though!
    Thanks,
    Imogen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we can ever be truly objective about ourselves. We're just too involved. Hence the work to acknowledge and state our biases and frameworks at the beginning, I suppose. It's a long labor of pulling apart our own subjectivity without throwing it out entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sam, great reading your blog. I am also trying to find my way into academic writing and struggling with objectivity vs. subjectivity. I also think, like Hannah has written above, that we can never be truly objective with our selves, I have been thinking if maybe being aware of ones frame of reference, from which one is writing or looking at things, is part of trying to be objective?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your replies, it's great to read your views too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam,
    Thanks for the link and your blog.
    I find it hard to be subjective on paper. It has proved a bit of a stumbling block on my current Module as I find myself falling into writing in a detached way. The translation from subjectivity looking into my personal opinion or bias into academic writing is a tricky one.

    ReplyDelete