Monday 2 April 2018


Reflection, what a tool!


Sitting down at my desk, trying to begin writing my Critical Inquiry, I wondered if what I was experiencing was writer’s block. I just couldn’t get started, and I had no idea why. I have had plenty of time to work on Module Three (I deferred a term,) but I feel so anxious. Seven essays written, you would think I was getting the hang of it by now wouldn’t you? I’ve done my research on writing at this level, I’m getting the hang of writing academic papers in relation to citations and writing literature lists etc, but I couldn’t get started for the life of me.

So, what did I do? Reflect of course! I don’t think I’m completely alone when I say that learning about writing academic papers has been a challenge, but I realised that it goes deeper than that. Once again, it goes way back to my student days. With little emphasis on academic qualifications at the school I attended, in my head I have divided the two. I chose to be a dancer and I couldn’t be intelligent at the same time. I can remember when I went to university for the first time in 2005 and stated to the lecturer that “I was just a dancer”, like that was an excuse for me being there. It also is an insult to all dancers, teachers, choreographers placing everybody in the same box as me.

I have had the perception for years, that anyone working for a masters degree is super clever. Again, I needed to resort to reflection for that to come to the surface. Goodness, the power of reflection!
Now, I’ve started writing but the insecurities are still there. Is it good enough? Am I doing what the module handbook states? The questions never end, but I’m now determined that I’m going to enjoy this process.

Good luck to everyone who is busy writing!

Sam




6 comments:

  1. Positive thoughts. Is this any different than procrastinating to getting ready for a performance or to teach a class? Is the medium of print what is challenging? Dancers may be thought to learn things instinctively and though immersion. Have you spent the same amount of time writing academic papers at this level you once spent learning how to dance or how to teach dance? Writing is easier for some people and harder for others. Is this (writing) not a form of immersive learning? I find the biggest challenge I have writing these papers is the different requirements from one educational system to another and writing in varying styles from research using different citation methods versus writing more narrative papers or stories. This might be considered the same as stating ballet and modern/contemporary are different when in reality both dance styles/genres use/involve many of the same concepts even though those concepts may be explained very differently. Just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I've compared it to learning one genre of dance to another, even one system of ballet to another. It takes time for the adjustments to get in place but there is always a result. Good luck with the writing Davis!

      Delete
  2. ^I too have found the different requirements between systems one of the hardest parts!

    But anyways, reflection is ridiculously helpful for me too. There's been a couple of things in the last few weeks where I realized via reflection that I had had this concept in my head and it was totally wrong. And not only totally off-base, but mystifying in its origin! And yet it had been guiding my actions, and not necessarily in good ways either. Face-palm moments for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, it is exciting isn't it? What I've learnt about in this process has been quite an eye-opener. How my practice has changed over the years is one thing, but how it's been influenced by my personality traits is revealing. Still discovering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reflection has been an eye opener both personally and professionally. good luck with final writings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you too, Samantha! Isn't is so helpful to simply reflect when we have writer's block! Thank you for the reminder! Good luck to you! Let's do this Critical Review!! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete